Not many people would hesitate if they were offered a healthy living, because by leading a healthier life you will experience the following benefits (among others).
-More energy and alertness, you feel good to be alive!
-Fewer health problems hence less visits to the doctor, you save on your medical bills!
-A long productive life!
How to Become Healthier
To become healthier you need to change your current habits in relation to diet, exercise and stress. The best way to start leading a healthier life is to begin small and gradually make changes to your diet and physical activity. You need to exercise more regularly and have a balanced diet, eat less and manage stress.
Choose physical activity and nutritional changes you can accommodate in your daily routine and therefore can stick to for the rest of your life. The amount of physical activity you can undertake will depend on your age. Adults between the ages of 15 and 65 should undertake 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise or physical activity. Make sure to include cardiovascular and weight training regimes in your exercise or physical activity. Acquire a heart rate monitor as it helps you monitor your rate during physical exercise.
It’s Also About the Food
To become healthier you need to make sure are eating the right food.
– Eat fresh food. Choose fresh healthy, nutrient rich and low fat foods. Include lots of vegetables and fruits in your diet.
– Eat food rich in fiber. Foods rich in fiber makes you stay full for longer, so you avoid those hunger pangs that make you reach for that unhealthy snack. Beans are an example of a fiber rich food.
– Eat fruits and avoid the juices. Eating the whole fruit fills you up because raw fruit contains fiber and the act of chewing the fruit communicates to the brain that you have eaten something. Juices tend to be high in calories and will lead to weight gain.
– Go for foods that contain a lot of water. Research indicates that eating foods rich in water lowers body mass index. These foods include fruits like watermelons, strawberries, grapefruit, peaches, and vegetables like cucumber, lettuce, zucchini, celery and radish.
– Include good fats to your diet. Research has proved that monounsaturated fats help people burn unwanted fat, particularly in the mid section. Bio foods rich in monounsaturated fats include olive oil, avocados, almonds, kalamata olives, walnuts and flaxseed.
– Eat more protein. Protein takes longer to digest keeping you full longer and also require more calories to be digested, helping you lose weight.
– Eat super foods. These are foods rich in nutrient content. An example of a super food is quinoa. It is a complete protein and is also rich in other minerals like magnesium, potassium, iron, phosphorous, and calcium.
– Eat more soup. Soups are low in calories and starting with a soup makes you eat less.
– Drink more water. Staying well hydrated keeps you from feeling hungry and also keeps your skin clearer and makes your hair shinier!
– Make breakfast your main meal, eat a smaller lunch and eat least at night. Your body requires more energy in the day.
– Take your multivitamins. These help you reduce your appetite.
– Keep away from unhealthy foods loaded with empty calories. These are foods which are rich in calories but of no nutritional value. In this category falls cookies, pastries, donuts, sodas, energy drinks, cakes, bacon, hot dogs, ice cream, fruit drinks, pizza, sausages, etc
You also need to manage stress. Take up a hobby especially one that brings you closer to nature like gardening. Since ancient times working and playing with nature has been known to be a powerful antidote to stress.
Having sound health has many benefits. It results in a positive attitude, makes you calm and relaxed, and increases your productivity leading to your overall development and a quality long life. Just follow some of the tips here and/or the ones from Fitness Exact, and get yourself in shape before the summer!